Sunday, September 8, 2013

Live from the British Broadcasting Center

Harrod's was on the to-do list so after I posted my last blog, Elena, Kathrine, Emily and I popped in a cab, and zipped down the street to Harrod's. By this time we were all starved, so we ate at Cafe Concerto, which was delicious but lame service. Kathrine asked for more water from three different servers and they took forever getting it, and the place was not very busy, but that's what you get in Europe. American servers are up your butt, but not here.

Harrods was as expected, big, crowded and expensive. We charged straight up to the top floor to see some dogs that were behind glass, sleeping. I hate when animals are caged and cost 2,000 pounds, so I didn't linger long. This whole section was dedicated to pets and their toys, food, and comfort. I wanted to get something for my savage dog, but Im poor, and she is a savage so she will destroy it anyways.

The other floors were various things, like toys, Christmas world (which was fantastic), food, perfume, purses, you know. I wanted to get a chocolate but the group blasted through too quickly. We left, got some drinks, and took a cab home.

Ambassador room B02 was getting ready for the Boat Cruise while listening to music, and drinking wine. We had a good time, looked like babes, but got discouraged as soon as we found the student group to go with. The people in our group are not all the nicest people, so us 4 clung together for the first part.

The boat left port at Temple Station with over 100 students on board. The bar and DJ were working hard, jams were getting sweeter as the alcohol set in on the crowd. After the sun set and people were done playing with their cameras, the boat got wild. Dancing, singing, laughing, dancing, drinking, going, going, gone.

After being a little more intoxicated than I planned, Kathrine, Nicole, Olivia and I got on the tube after we docked, made our way back to Gloucester Road, smashed on some Burger King, and came home. I took a shower, and called Frank. My other roommates made it back much later than I as they decided to go out to another bar after the boat.

I didn't feel very awful the next day since I drank a lot of water before I went to bed, but I was still sluggish.

The Chelsea Stadium Tour was today at 9:30. I made it there, by myself, as my roommates and friends did not want to go. So I was a lone wolf in a crowd of annoying sheep. (Yes they are the sheep because I wanted to kill them all), not really all, just some of them. They're rude people.

The stadium was awesome! I think I am a Man U fan, but the Chelsea stadium was awesome, and we ARE in London after all... Manchester is a bit out of the way. We are going to a Chelsea vs Basel game on the 18th. Anyway, we got to roam all around the stadium, like in the press room, changing rooms, and dugouts.

After that, I came back home by myself, as I couldn't stand being in that group any longer, got Emily and we went to lunch as a Thai place on Gloucester. It was really good, and we saved our leftovers for dinner! Together, her and I adventured to the station, and to a store there that was awesome. It was a big grocery store that was inexpensive. So we got left by the group that was going to the BBC Tour. Everyone just leaves everyone here so it is easier to just travel alone.

We got to Oxford Circus and found our way to the BBC where everyone was waiting in line anyway. Hurry to wait, it is just like the military! (with a few differences, I am sure... lol) Once we got in, past security, the tour was fantastic. We got to see the the heart of the BBC, how it works, news rooms, theatres, studios, and all the works. Our guides were fantastic! Tours are open to the public, so I highly recommend going to this if you are ever in London. I got to broadcast the 'news' from a mock studio with another girl from the group which was really quite fun. Its hard to look at the camera constantly, and not people 'off set' and to actually sound excited about things like a giant wave of foam in Australia and the Royal family riding on the tube.

After the BBC tour, Emily and I split from the group, went to Starbucks as we were both really really tired. I got an espresso drink and the cashier asked me if I wanted to featured espresso from Etheopia, which was chocolate flavored. Of course I did, and it was fantastic. We got on the subject of me being from Ohio. He was so excited that I was from Ohio of all places, and that he had heard it is the sunniest, nicest place in the US. I thought he was pulling my leg, because we all know how Ohio is... Gross, cold, overcast, dark... He said he has always wanted to go to the City of Cleveland as it was supposed to be amazing. I felt bad telling him that Ohio is cold, snowy, and overcast mostly every day of the year. I told him Cleveland is similar to Liverpool in the fact that it is an old steel town. He looked like I just murdered his child in front of him. The poor lad was probably no older than 20, with his dreams of Ohio crushed right in front of him. I told him it was all that bad, but it is not one of the BEST places to visit in America. I felt bad...

After crushing the poor Londoner's dreams, we went to Hemley's Toy Shop. This was a sight for the inner child of everyone. 7 floors of toys, games, electronics, and princess clothes. I bought a Logo game, but it is all about the UK. What makes Britain, British? We will soon find out.


We jumped on the Piccadilly Line and found ourselves back to Gloucester. I smashed my leftovers, and loafed in bed for a while, then Emily and I went back out, and to that Middle Easter place to get some take out for her dinner, as the Thai food didn't sound good to her. I got a piece of Baklava, which was WAY to saturated in... I dont even know what so that was a bust. Emily got a Baklava sample tray for Tesco, and that was amazing, so I bought one of those today because I am a cow.

I watched Anastasia on my laptop before I went to bed. I crashed hard.

I woke up at 8:30 and felt like I had been run over by a train. I felt so awful. The Harry Potter Tour was in an hour, and I couldn't miss it because HP is my boi. Unfortunately, even after taking a shower, and having a spot of tea, I felt like ass. I went back to sleep, missing HP. I woke up a few hours later, not feeling AS bad, but still not good. I threw on a maxi dress and hat, and made my way to Boots to get some cough drops as my throat felt like it had razor blades in it. I also went to Tesco to get some food stuffs for the rest of the day. Bread, milk, yogurt, soup, OJ, Baklava, you know, the essentials. I feel like crap because I keep spending money, but if I was at home, I would have already had all these essentials, so I guess this is what happens when you move to another country and take one suitcase with you.

My glasses are really messed up, its hard to see out of them, so I hope my parents can get a hold of my prescription so I can order some new ones :(

Emily and I met up with Kathrine on Kensington High Street and took a cab over to the London Eye. Since it was rainy and cold, and I am sick, we chose the cab. We got there and the amount of people crowding the area was unbelievable. Although, it is a Sunday, so its tourists, plus anyone else who is off work. Remind me to not go to attractions on the weekend.

The Eye was interesting, I had to pee the whole time since I had just drank a litre of water, go figure. The views were cool. There are so many cranes, for construction, messing up the skylines but that's what happens when the world never stops growing! London is not a tall city like New York or Chicago but it sprawls out far. The Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben) looks glorious as did Westminster behind it. I got a better sense of direction as to where I live, in comparison to Westminster and all that classic London hubbub.

After we toured the Eye, we went hopped in a cab and went to The Muffin Man for afternoon tea, again, since it was so lovely the first time. Once again we all had the Traditional tea, sammiches without crust, and cakes. I had the Passion Carrot Cake this time while Emily and Kathrine had Lemon Cake.

We have returned home now, and I am going to get snuggley in my bed and watch a movie.

Thanks for tuning into The Piccadilly Line, see you for my next post! Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment